Thursday, July 2, 2015

running into things


I have so many reasons for naming my blog as I did that I don't even really know where to begin. I suppose with the obvious: running. I have been a runner for about 8 years now. It began after watching The Bucket List. I was inspired to create my own list, and my husband (then boyfriend/fiance) said we should put running a marathon on our bucket lists. I knew then he was crazy. My compromise was a 5K. I trained, hated every step. But when I crossed my first finish line, I was addicted. During every race, 8 years ago and even today, I curse myself for signing up. Training takes time, and I'd rather be sleeping in. Why am I putting myself through all this pain? As soon as I cross that finish line, I'm looking for my next race. It's a vicious cycle that I'll never give up.

My first 5K was 35:17. I weighed a lot of lbs. It took about 3 years for me to realize that my speed would not increase without losing weight. Joined Weight Watchers a year after the birth of my first child. Lost 65 total lbs in about 6-7 months. My fastest 5K has been 24:58 since then. I've also run several 10Ks, a 15K, and 3 half marathons. My first half was the Charlotte Thunder Road and I finished around 2:45:00. Slow. This was 2 weeks into WW. Next was the High Country Half Marathon and finished around 2:14:00. This was 2 months after maintaining my goal with WW. Finally I ran the Myrtle Beach Half with a goal of finishing under 2 hours. I finished at 2:02:00 and was so bummed. I thought a flat course would help, but the rain and wind and the fact that you're only working 1 group of muscles for 2 hours really got to me in the last 2 miles. I'm currently training for the Davidson Half in September and I WILL finish under 2 hours. I'm determined.


No plans to run a full. I'd rather eat a bug.

Another reason for the name of the blog is literal. I run into things constantly. When I was very young, I would stub my toe on my Grandparent's door literally every time I stepped over their threshold. I don't know what it was about that damn door. But my toe was constantly bleeding. Even as an adult I'm so clumsy. Basically from my shins to my hips I'm covered in bruises from running into corners, drawers, edges, walls, doorknobs, countertops, you name it. Even my arms get bruised from running into things.

I think I can sum everything up into one final reason. I take on a million things at once. I'm always running into another responsibility. I don't say this to brag, in fact I wish I weren't this type of personality. I have to stay busy to be happy. If I sit still, or stay at home for an extended period of time, I feel depressed. I am on the go - always. It drives my husband bananas. Aside from home life (being a mom to two young boys and a dog and a husband), I am a full time elementary school principal. On the weekends and occasional weeknights I am a photographer. This not only entails the actual photo shoot but editing after the kids go to bed almost every night. Then I am a runner, so I work out either running or doing Insanity 5-6 days a week. This means early mornings. Like 4:30 am. Then there's the neverending Pinterest projects, blogs for work and photography, nights out with the girls, mini vacations. My problem is I don't know how to say NO. I keep running into things, and adding to my many responsibilities.

Crazy as it may sound, I love it. I love when my life is full. When my life is full, my heart is full.

So why not run into a new blog? A personal blog. I'm inspired by many of the bloggers I tagged at the bottom of this page. The topics for my blog will be all of the things I'm running into at that specific point in my life. I post a lot on FaceBook but this will be a page where I can go a little deeper. And if you want to read, great. If you don't, my feelings won't be hurt.

Every time you visit my page, I will be happy I ran into you!

Thanks for reading...
Fondly,




No comments:

Post a Comment