Monday, July 6, 2015

fourth of july weekend


What an amazing weekend. It took all I had in me not to post on FaceBook this weekend, but to save the goods for the blog. I'm sure you were relieved your news feeds weren't blowing up with a million pictures of my boys. Instead, they'll be on this page.

Our amazing weekend began on Friday. Sweet Katie came over to babysit the boys while Mommy and Daddy ran into "work" a.k.a. a baseball game. If we tell Finn where we're going, he will want to come with us. So we are always going to "work". Our date-day was wonderful.





We enjoyed a Charlotte Knights game, and managed to avoid the looming rain. The nachos were TO.DIE.FOR. I indulged. After the 7th inning (we were down by too many to count), we walked around Charlotte looking for a sweet treat. Everything was closed. Starbucks it is! We each enjoyed something sweet to eat and drink at sat for a while talking at The Green Uptown. It felt like we were actually dating again. So fun!

Saturday morning was an early start as we actually ran into Run For Your Life's "American 4 Miler". The race began in Dilworth at 7:30 am. Our original plan was for each of us to push one of the boys in a jogger. Thankfully. Thankfully! Our friend Denise (Nenee as Finn refers to her) offered to come with us. She was able to watch Finn, and I pushed Kellan in the jogger. 4 miles is a huge deal for me to run with a jogger (A jogger is a baby stroller for running). I've only ever pushed for 3 miles. Baby-Joggers get to start before the other runners, so we had a 2 minute head start. I probably got 0.3 miles before I started getting passed by the 5 minute/mile runners. And all I did for 4 miles was get passed. This was new for me. Usually I'm the one doing the passing (I start off at an even pace, and therefore end up passing the people who started too fast and can't keep up the pace). So being passed the entire race was a little defeating. Kellan did great. I'm not sure if he slept or just enjoyed the ride but he was very quiet.

Nenee and Finn were at the finish line taking pictures and cheering us on. I finished in just over 36:00, which is GREAT for pushing a jogger. My average pace was 9:07! We then all gathered at the finish to cheer on Daddy. After the 4 mile race was over, it was time for the Kid's 1 Mile Fun Run. Finn was SO excited for this. We had only "run" 1 mile together once prior to this race. He wanted to wear my Garmin watch, so I let him.

 
 
At about 0.2 miles, Finn stops and says, "Mommy this watch is too heavy. Take it off." So we took it off, and continued running. Let me tell you about Finn the runner. He thinks he needs to talk the entire way. Some musings from his run:
 
  • Mommy, I'm sweating.
  • I need to take some deap breaths.
  • Look it's a leaf!
  • Are we done yet?
  • Is that a truck?
  • Why is there a police man there?
  • Do you want some chocolate?
 
And he just doesn't stop talking. Which is why he has such a hard time actually running consistently. Love him. After the first 1/4 mile, he walked about 10 steps. He ran the rest of the way. This is how: There was a police officer at every turn. I told him his job was to race to the police officer and high five him or her. That was his mission, and he accepted it! In the last half of the race, a police motorcycle caught up with us - I guess we were the last ones on the course. He was riding behind us until he realized that Finn was interested in his bike. So Finn would stop every 2 feet to turn and look at him. The officer then cruised around in front of us, and I told Finn he needed to try to catch the motorcycle. Well that did it, he sprinted the rest of the way.
 
Now comes the final turn to the finish, and the motorcycle turns away (obviously it can't cross through the finish line). Finn is so serious about catching the motorcycle, that he tries to turn away from the finish line and continue to chase it. He got pretty mad when I told him he couldn't catch it, he had to run to the finish. After 2 pouts, he ran to the finish and got his prize: A bandana. Seriously? You couldn't have a medal for the kids? I was very disappointed.
 
Here are some pics from the race:
 
 
I think 1 mile was too much for Finn. We'll stick to 1/2 milers for a while.
 
We got home with about an hour to spare before heading to Pat's family's lake house. Finn was ready to GO FISHING! We actually left 10 minute early because he had already climbed into the car and buckled himself in. Thought we'd be bad parents letting him sit in the car alone until we were ready, so away we went.
 
I told Finn now would be a great time to take a nap so he could have lots of energy to catch fish. Here he is 2 minutes later:
 



 
Little man had the best time. He fished (caught 2 fish...then let them go back to their families), and swam in the lake with his daddy. Kellan and I? We sat in the shade and slept. Totally my kind of holiday:
 
 
 
We got home right around bedtime (didn't stay for fireworks as both boys were exhausted). Our neighbors shot off fireworks for about 45 minutes and neither boy woke up. Amazing.
 
On Sunday, Kellan woke up with (continued to have) a snotty nose - teething. Kiddos can't have snotty noses for nursery at church. So he and I went grocery shopping. Pat took Finn to his first movie theater experience: Inside Out. And it was 3D. We were worried Finn wouldn't sit still through the entire movie, or leave the glasses on, or he'd be scared of the dark...but he did great. Sat through the entire show with popcorn in hand, and LOVED it. Here he is after the movie - notice his 3D glasses are upside down? He wore them upside down all 90 minutes - as he wears all glasses. Don't tell him he's wearing them wrong. Not worth the fight.
 
 






I'm so blessed to have such a perfect little family. Although they may make me feel crazy at times, they are truly what melts my heart. This weekend I enjoyed running into a baseball game, road race, lake time, and a relatively calm Sunday. What did you run into?
 
Fondly,
 

No comments:

Post a Comment