Friday, January 22, 2016

5 on friday


<ONE>
Winter is finally here in North Carolina. Here's my view as I drink my coffee this morning:

I'm not a huge fan of snow. It's pretty the first time it sticks, but after that I'm done. So I'm enjoying the beauty of it today, and enjoying a day at home with my sweet boys. They both slept until 6:30 so that was a nice treat! Finn has been asking since the second he woke up when he can go outside to build a snowman. This is why I dislike snow. I'd rather enjoy it from the inside. We bought him snow boots for Christmas, so I really have no excuse. I told him we had to wait until Kellan's morning nap. I have about 2 more hours before I have to endure the cold with him! I'm hoping this snow day allows me some time to cuddle with the boys, catch up on blogging, finish editing last weekend's photo sessions, and maybe even watch a movie.

<TWO>
On Wednesday 2 weeks ago, we did our 2nd annual "Stuck for a Buck" fundraiser at school. The idea is you pay $1 for 1 foot of duct tape to tape a staff member to the wall. Three teachers and both administrators participated and we raised $1,174! Last year we made around $1,015. Our goal was just to beat last year's amount and we obviously did with flying colors. We also changed the way we did things this year. Last year we were taped up for 3 hours during the lunch periods. This year we broke it down by hallway for 30-45 minutes at a time. Much less physically painful. Here is a photo from the event:

<THREE>
On Sunday, I am lucky enough to be able to go to the Panthers vs. Cardinals game. Going to the game before the Super Bowl is kind of a once in a lifetime, especially when you're expecting your home team to be in the BIG GAME. It'll probably be frigid and wet, but I'm going to be tough ;) It has been such an exciting season, so I'm anticipating seeing our cats eat those birds! If you see me Monday morning and I'm barely able to keep my eyes open, this is why.

<FOUR>
On Wednesday this past week, our school and another neighboring school were lucky enough to see The Trauma Fighter speak. It was one of those things that lands at the perfect time in your life, when you need to be reminded of the fact that everyone is battling something in their life you know nothing about. This guy is a local kid who grew up in poverty and abuse, experiencing death and disability. He talk about his experiences in school and what his teachers and fellow students did to help and hurt him along the way. It was a good reminder that the "tough" kid in your class most likely is battling a trauma in one form or another. Be sensitive to it. Try to listen, to understand. This guy was my Keith from my first year of teaching. He challenged me in every way possible. Keith made me want to quit my job some days. I knew what he was going through at home so I tried to love him through his tantrums, his cussing fits, his middle fingers, his running away, his blatant disregard for authority, his lying. But at the end of the year, Keith was the student I had the hardest time saying goodbye to. And I wonder every day if he is ok, if he made it in life. It is this type of student that I remember most from year to year. I hope that I made a difference in his life.

<FIVE>
I'm signed up for the Nashville Half at the end of April, and training for it will begin in a few weeks. I'm already ahead because I've been doing 6 mile runs pretty much every weekend to maintain some distance. I've also decided to sign up for the Detroit Half in October and will be doing the International Half - which runs through the US and Canada. My BFF from high school, Jackie, and I will run it together. Finn is going to fly home with me for the extended weekend. He and I are both SO excited!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment